Cleveland, OH, US
Job Title: Facilities Manager
Location: Cleveland, OH, US
The primary responsibility of the Facilities Manager is to oversee the daily maintenance of The Triangle Towers and surrounding buildings COCM manages for Case Western Reserve University. Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to custodial operations, oversite of HVAC, implementation and evaluation of preventive maintenance program, management of work order system, project management, supervision of employees; and the oversight of third party facility vendors. This position supervises three maintenance technicians and two custodial employees.
- Trouble shoot complex systems, boiler, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, etc.
- Conducts regular inspections of the community. Addresses maintenance and custodial issues found during the inspections and notifies appropriate parties regarding issues found during the inspections.
- Plans preventative maintenance schedules preventative maintenance tracking, and maintenance projects.
- Implement, evaluate and maintain sustainable practices for the overall operation. Compile information and maintain records for inquiries and reports.
- Maintains proper levels of inventory and organization of maintenance shop and storage.
- Track and manage appropriate budget item lines with assistance from Director.
- Orders, receives, and tracks all custodial and maintenance supplies as needed.
- Maintains an audit of all site equipment.
- Ensures the completion of all work orders within 24 hours.
- Assists with coordination of all administrative aspects of move-in and move-out processes.
- Liaison with outside vendors for supply and service needs.
- Coordinates move-out inspections, Room Condition Reports, and work order creation from the Room Condition Reports.
- Reviews operations procedures regularly and makes recommendations to the Director.
- Participates in 24-hour emergency response rotation. Responds to emergency calls by assessing the situation and determining the best course of action.
- Documents incidents as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Administrative and Communication Responsibilities
- Communicate with and support all members of the community to foster a sense of community, ownership and respect. Maintain regular communication with the community about work orders and facilities related projects/issues.
- Create, maintain and report regular and preventative maintenance logs for machinery and site.
- Manage work order system, including creating, assigning and noting completion in Property Boss software.
- Coordinates and assists with turn process including setting up vendors, creating market ready schedule and dates, assigning staff to units and inspecting work completed during turn process.
- Handle purchasing and inventory management of parts and equipment.
- Respond to all communication in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate, develop and maintain interactive communication skills including basic counseling skills, understanding of cultural differences and intercultural communications, and basic conflict mediation skills.
- Be aware and knowledgeable of facility issues and concerns. Inform supervisor of chronic or unresolved issues.
- Assume responsibility for identifying, reporting and correcting safety and security concerns; educate residents about safety and security measures.
- Conduct custodial assessments of facilities and adjust cleaning schedule as needed.
Training, Meetings and On-Call Responsibilities
- Attend staff meetings, training sessions, in-service programs, staff development programs and individual meetings with supervisor.
- Assume on-call responsibility as scheduled, including winter and spring breaks on a rotating basis with other Professional Staff member/Maintenance Team Members (during any staff vacancies).
- Respond to lockouts, crises and emergencies as directed by established protocols or as directed by supervisor(s) or other management personnel.
- Provide leadership and training for maintenance/custodial staff.
- Attend company, campus, and project meetings.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
Requirements: The Facilities Manager must have previous maintenance experience, extensive mechanical knowledge and ability to fix mechanical items in-house, excellent customer skills and computer knowledge. Candidates must have a sound knowledge of plumbing systems, appliances, water heaters, chillers/boilers, and air conditioning units. This is a partial working Manager position to assist team members with complex issues. The Facilities Manager is expected and required to work with the other staff members to complete long and short term goals, while managing and leading a team through communication, staff development and role modeling.
- Education and/or Experience – High school diploma or general education degree (GED), and five years of relevant experience in a related field or area of responsibility. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Some custodial knowledge preferred, but not required
- Language Skills – Ability to read, analyze, and interpret trade periodicals, journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondences, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations, and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to operate office equipment including photocopier, fax, and telephone. Basic typing, filing, and organization skills.
- Demonstrated understanding and strong commitment to customer service.
- Basic technical knowledge of custodial and be “hands-on” in completing maintenance work.
- Due to the on-call nature of the position candidate must live within 40 minutes of site.
Experience working with student housing or campus facilities.
HVAC and/or Boiler and Chiller certification
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.