Job Title: Lead Maintenance Technician
Location: University of Massachusetts Boston, Office of Housing and Residence Life
Reports to: Maintenance Supervisor
Salary: $22.00 – $24.00 per hour
FLSA Status: Non- Exempt
Under the direct supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor, the Lead Maintenance Technician is responsible for all aspects of facility maintenance, renovation, and repair. The Lead Maintenance Technician and/or Maintenance Technician are on-call for maintenance emergencies 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Must respond within 30 minutes of the initial call.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Meet with outside vendors when directed to by the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Monitor and report all maintenance issues that are not resolvable by the lead maintenance or other maintenance technicians immediately to the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Monitor and assist to maintain a well-organized maintenance shop and inventory supplies storage closet.
- Make sure Maintenance Technician equipment & tools are organized and are kept in working condition.
- The Lead Maintenance Technician is mandated to participate in all maintenance new hires and new site training.
- Complete interior and exterior maintenance programs to ensure quality repairs.
- Respond to all resident maintenance requests within 24 business hours.
- Foster good working relationships with colleagues and office staff.
- Assist in overseeing all work performed by various contractors for renovations/repairs and inspect upon completion to ensure quality workmanship.
- Assist in monthly inspections of the HVAC units and change filters as required by the manufacturer of the system.
- Perform general furniture repair, painting during non-turn periods, general plumbing, some appliance repair, and minor electrical repairs.
- Participates in a 24-hour emergency maintenance on-call schedule on a rotating basis.
- Assist in overseeing turnover of units as required including drywall repairs, painting, etc.
- Serve as second in command of custodial positions when Maintenance Supervisor is unavailable or if directed.
- Other reasonable duties as assigned.
Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm and serving on an on-call maintenance rotation.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and at least 2-3 years experience in a related field. It is highly preferred that the applicant be HVAC certified.
- Must be proficient with the use of hand and power tools.
- Must have troubleshooting and diagnostic skills.
- Must be a team player, yet very capable of working individually and strive to provide the best service possible for our residents & customers.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. All must be completed in English.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide into all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions.
- Technical Skills – Pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service – Responds promptly to customer needs; responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively.
- Teamwork – Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; works with integrity and ethically.
- Organizational Support – Supports the organization’s goals and values.
- Judgment – Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; includes appropriate people in the decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; completes work in a timely manner.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; completes tasks on time or notifies the appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; asks for and offers help when needed.
Competitive benefits package, including health benefits, dental benefits, vision coverage, and 401K.
Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening.
If you are unable to apply because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for assistance as soon as possible.
COCM is an equal opportunity employer. Persons of color, women, and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.