Frostburg, MD, US
Job Title: Apartment Maintenance Technician
Location: Edgewood Commons at Frostburg State University
Reports to: Maintenance Supervisor
Salary: $17.00-$18.00 per hour and a comprehensive benefits package
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The primary responsibility of the Apartment Maintenance Technician is to collaborate with the overall staff to upkeep, maintain and repair the community. The Apartment Maintenance Technician maintains and repairs basic building functions and such things as appliances, entry keys and lock systems, windows, flooring, walls, ceilings, electrical equipment, sprinkler equipment, generators, emergency lighting, interior and exterior building lighting, fire alarms, extinguishers, security systems, thermostats, changes filters and performs preventative maintenance on HVAC equipment, and building plumbing systems. Duties include painting, plumbing, maintaining work logs, stocking and organizing the maintenance shop, and keeping machinery and equipment in good working order. Projecting a customer focused and professional image through interaction with all internal and external customers is essential. The Apartment Maintenance Technician serves in an on-call rotation for maintenance emergencies 24 hours per day, 7 days per week on a rotating basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Preventative maintenance on HVAC systems including thermostats, filter changes, belt changes, oil/lubing, cleaning of registers, diffusers, and vents, and small motor changes as scheduled.
- Maintain, repair, and replace public area, office, and residential furniture as needed.
- Routine boiler maintenance including observance, recording, and reporting of temperatures, gauges, and necessary repairs.
- Perform general plumbing repairs including leaks, drains, toilets, sinks, showers, and gaskets.
- Perform electrical repairs including but not limited to bulb and ballast replacement, fixtures, sockets, outlets, and GFCIs.
- Complete painting and drywall repair/replacement projects as scheduled.
- Replace ceiling tiles.
- Clean and maintain equipment and tools routinely and as directed by Assistant Director.
- Maintain, clean, and organize storage and Maintenance Shop daily.
- Conducts daily general inspections of assigned buildings. Reports persistent findings of these inspections to Maintenance Supervisor with appropriate recommendations for proactive solutions.
- Conduct additional inspections monthly and quarterly as scheduled by Assistant Director.
- Perform general appliance maintenance and repair.
- Maintenance, repair, and replacement of entry door, lock, and key systems.
- Complete exterior maintenance repairs and projects as set forth by Assistant Director.
- Unload and stock equipment and supplies from loading dock, storage, and Maintenance shop throughout buildings.
- Assemble and move office and residential furniture as directed.
- Prepare and set-up furniture and equipment for meetings, conference, classes, etc. as required.
- Monitors snow accumulation to ensure steps are taken to prevent ice buildup on the property.
- Shovels snow from walks and driveways.
- Spreads salt on public passageways to prevent ice or snow buildup.
- Monitor and maintain entranceways, walkways, common areas, and hallways to ensure they are dry, clear, and safe for pedestrians.
- Assist with restoring the rooms and common areas to their original condition upon resident or guest move-out through cleaning and repairs.
- Participates in a 24-hour emergency maintenance on-call schedule on a rotating basis.
- Responds on-site within 30 minutes for emergency calls, and reports finding to Maintenance Supervisor with appropriate recommendations for proactive solutions.
- Assists with the removal of trash and the cleaning of common areas as needed.
- Supports the team when members are in need of assistance and/or absent.
- Other duties as assigned.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is mid-to-high paced. The noise level is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- 2-3 years’ experience – preferred in the areas of residential or student communities.
- Preference given to candidates with experience including HVAC, plumbing, electrical, etc. Those willing to learn more and/or obtain credentials in the referenced areas will also be considered.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both written and in speech.
- Must be punctual, organized, and able to meet deadlines.
Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package, including health benefits, dental benefits, vision coverage, and 401K.
If you are unable to apply because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact COCM Recruitment from our website. We will make every effort to respond to your request for assistance as soon as possible.
To provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Capstone On-Campus Management (COCM) will be based on qualifications, and abilities. COCM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.