Community

Marrying Access + Excellence in Higher Ed – with Dr. Eileen Strempel

How can we be elite without being elitist? Today, I’m joined by Dr. Eileen Strempel to discuss the marriage of access with excellence in higher ed. She shares her commitment to being an unabashed champion of transfer students and describes our responsibility to be responsive and welcoming to the shifting demographics of the student body.

How I Got into Student Housing – with Jeremy Biddy

Join the Conversation Podcast How I Got into Student Housing – with Jeremy Biddy Many professionals in the world of student housing began as RAs, gaining exposure to the industry as college students and eventually realizing the opportunity to pursue a career in the space. But what if you weren’t a resident assistant in college?…

Ribbon Cutting at UMass Boston’s New Residence Hall

UMass Boston excited to open its first-ever residence Students now can truly call UMass Boston home. This past Tuesday, Mayor Walsh, Interim Chancellor Katherine Newman, University of Massachusetts President Marty Meehan, local elected officials and university supporters gathered to celebrate a ribbon cutting for the very first residence hall at the University of Massachusetts, Boston…

How I Got Into Student Housing: Kelly Podach Francis

Join the Conversation Podcast How I Got Into Student Housing – with Kelly Podach Francis When a residence hall comes in under budget, that money can be invested in the building itself. But how do you make decisions around what improvements to prioritize? Kelly Podach Francis designs an action plan based on student feedback, and…

Going Above and Beyond for Students

Marshall University, one of COCM’s campus partners, planned a surprise for one of their students this past week at graduation. Claudia Lea, one of over 1700 students graduating, was taken aback when Marshall University’s president, Jerome Gilbert, announced that her father, Major Brett Lea, had recorded a video to share from Germany where he was…

COCM Cares!

COCM celebrates a “Capstone Cares” week each year, where we unite as a company to give back to our local community. This year, employees from COCM’s home office and their family members, spent a day at Oliver Elementary School in Birmingham, Alabama helping with a variety of projects. Traffic flow “Lion Paws” were painted on…

What To Say?!

What to Say? Happy Holiday! Merry Christmas? Happy Hanukkah? Merry Kwanza? Happy Festivus? It has been an interesting topic of discussion at every institution or company of which I have been employed. To “Merry Christmas” or not to “Merry Christmas,” that is the question. A majority of people I have encountered at my various institutions…

The Beloit College “2017 Mindset List”

The Beloit College “2017 Mindset List” is out for the current generation of entering college students (born in 1995).  From their site, here is a description of the list itself. Each August since 1998, Beloit College has released the Beloit College Mindset List, providing a look at the cultural touchstones that shape the lives of students…