Job Title: Custodian/Porter
Location: The Continuum at University of Florida
Reports to: Maintenance Manager
Compensation: $11.00 per hour
The Continuum is a graduate student and professional housing community near the campus of The University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida.
The Custodian/Porter is primarily responsible, as part of a team, for overall sanitization and cleanliness and maintenance of the grounds, the interior and exterior of the building, the common areas, all bathrooms and projecting a student focused and professional image with all internal and external interactions. Weekends may be required of this position from time to time.
Description of Duties
- Works in support the whole Facilities Team in their duties and responsibilities; creating a student first environment excelling in customer service, communication, and quality of service.
- Clean and sanitize common areas which includes halls, stairways, public restrooms, offices, lounges, elevators, trash rooms, corridors, etc.
- Clean and sanitize public restrooms, including replenishing bathroom supplies.
- Sweep, scrub, and mop floors as well as vacuuming rugs and carpeting.
- Clean, dust, and wipe furniture.
- Collect and dispose of trash. Pick up debris and recyclables inside and outside the building.
- Wash accessible interior and exterior windows, door panels, and sills.
- Use and maintain assigned equipment: dry carpet extractor, pressure washer, vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees.
- Follow instructions and safety procedures regarding the use of chemicals and supplies.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies, and tools.
- Launder cleaning rags and dust mops.
- Respond to emergencies when necessary.
- Work overtime (when approved) and understand that there will be no leave approved during the turn periods of this property outside of emergency and unforeseen situations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED
- At least 1 year of experience working within a janitorial/custodial position
- Knowledge of generally accepted janitorial/custodial practices
- Experience using and maintaining common janitorial/custodial equipment (e.g. floor scrubber, extractors, upholstery machines, pressure washer, vacuum, mops, chemical dispensers)
- Must be a team player. We all must work together as we strive to provide the best service possible for our customers.
Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening.