Job Title: Porter
Location: Christa McAuliffe Residential Community, Entrepreneurship Living Learning Community at Bowie State University
Reports to: Maintenance Supervisor
Salary: $15.00-$17.00 per hour and a comprehensive benefits package
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Porter is primarily responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the interior and exterior of the building, along with minor facilities repairs as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in maintaining the grounds, building common areas, and exterior of the building.
- Assist in cleaning snow and debris from the sidewalk.
- Assist in removing all trash and refuse from the building.
- Use tools ranging from common hand and power tools such as hammers, saws, and drills.
- Assist in painting and drywall projects when necessary.
- Replace light bulbs, lamps, and clean fixtures.
- Aid in preparing vacant units for new tenants.
- Assist in performing basic maintenance functions that may be assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Assist in escorting and monitoring vendors while on-site providing a service.
- Respond quickly to emergency situations and customer concerns.
- Participate in on-call rotation for emergency call-outs.
- Comply with all applicable codes, regulations, governmental agencies, and company directives as related to building operations and practices of safe work habits.
- Identifies and reports work orders for maintenance needs.
- Contribute to the overall success of the maintenance department by performing essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee encounters while performing this job’s essential functions. The work environment is mid-to-high-paced. The noise level is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Custodial experience with a willingness to learn general maintenance tasks.
- Demonstrate proficiency in verbal communication.
- Possess strong customer service skills.
- Ability to move and lift up to 50 lbs and navigate up and down stairs.
- Must have troubleshooting and diagnostic skills.
Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package, including health benefits, dental benefits, vision coverage, and 401K.
If you are unable to apply because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact COCM Recruitment from our website. We will make every effort to respond to your request for assistance as soon as possible.
To provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Capstone On-Campus Management (COCM) will be based on qualifications and abilities. COCM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.