Job Title: Maintenance Technician
Location: Maintenance Supervisor
Reports to: Walker Avenue Apartments, University of Maryland Baltimore County
Salary: $27.00 per hour and comprehensive benefits package
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Under the direct supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor, the Maintenance Technician is responsible for all aspects of facility maintenance, renovation, and repair. The Maintenance Technician serves in the on-call rotation for maintenance emergencies; 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with property turnaround periods, “turn”, related tasks such as vendor escort and performance evaluation, cleaning vacant spaces, basic repairs.
- Assist with on-going and preventative maintenance tasks, including but not limited to HVAC, electrical, plumbing, appliances, furniture, and maintenance equipment.
- Assist with bi-monthly inspections and maintenance of HVAC, Fire Safety, and other equipment as required by system manufacturers and local, state and federal laws.
- Perform damage inspections when units are vacated.
- Maintain light fixtures through bulb and ballast replacement and cleaning.
- In the absence of the Maintenance Supervisor and/or Technician, supervise assist in monitoring the performance of custodian(s), vendors, and student maintenance staff (CMAs).
- Assist with work order completion as directed by supervisor.
- Respond quickly and courteously to resident requests for service and take appropriate action to complete the request or communicate to appropriate personnel.
- Assist with trash removal (may include parking lots).
- Assist with after-hours duty rotation (includes carrying a duty cell phone) seven days per week, including weekends and holidays.
- May be asked to assist at local COCM sites other than UMBC.
- Attend and pass all assigned training, including electronic/web-based coursework.
- Attend staff development functions and contribute positively to the team atmosphere
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor and management
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Some nights, weekends, and overtime hours are required. On-Call duty rotation schedule will be established by the maintenance supervisor on a monthly basis, as necessary, based on current staff size.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is mid-to-high paced. The noise level is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; bend; walk (3-5 miles per day); work in confined spaces; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear; twists torso 45 degrees to 90 degrees. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. The employee must be willing to work in inclement weather and emergency situations; may be assigned to wear a respirator and/or self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) as needed.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- 3-5 years of experience in a related field.
- CFC certification preferred.
- Must have troubleshooting and diagnostic skills.
- Must be a team player, we all must work together as we strive to provide the best service possible for our residents & customers.
- Ability to move and lift to 100lbs and navigate up and downstairs.
- Ability to perform basic computer-based functions. Able to successfully complete required web-based training courses and check company e-mails.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos in English. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. The employee must understand the limitations of their ability and distinguish when to contact supervisor or management for assistance.
Employees are required to submit documentation of a completed series of FDA-approved vaccination against COVID-19 or submit a written request and be approved for, a religious or medical exemption by the Director of Human Resources for COCM. Employees who receive a vaccination exemption must complete regular testing for COVID-19, as required by applicable law.
All staff, regardless of their vaccination status, will be required to follow these procedures whenever they are in the workplace or conducting COCM business at any third-party location until notified by COCM leadership. This requirement includes wearing face coverings and other personal protective equipment; strictly adhering to respiratory and hand hygiene and symptom screening practices; observing social distancing, occupancy, activity, and quarantine restrictions; and complying with all other COVID-19 precautions as instructed by COCM.
Competitive benefits package, including health benefits, dental benefits, vision coverage, and 401K.
Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening.
If you are unable to apply because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for assistance as soon as possible. To provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Capstone On-Campus Management (COCM) will be based on qualifications and abilities. COCM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristics.