College Park, MD
Job Title: Housekeeper Supervisor
Location: Associate Director-Maintenance Operations
Reports to: South Campus Commons at University of Maryland
Salary: $46,000 a year and a comprehensive benefits package
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Housekeeper Supervisor is responsible for the supervision of work activities of the housekeeping staff to ensure the cleanliness of the interior and exterior of the property. The Housekeeper Supervisor serves as essential personal during site and weather-related emergencies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises the housekeeping staff of 9 employees.
- Performs cleaning duties in cases of emergency or staff shortage.
- Inspects work by visiting assigned buildings ensuring assigned task and duties are completed.
- Collects housekeeper weekly reports.
- Examines buildings to determine need for repairs or replacement of furniture/equipment and makes recommendations to management.
- Inventories stock to ensure adequate supply levels and monitors supply usage.
- Selects and purchases cleaning materials.
- Issues supplies and equipment to workers.
- Provides training for staff on Hazardous Communication.
- Update and maintain all Hazardous Communication information binders.
- Attends staff meetings to discuss company policies and residents’ complaints.
- Establishes standards and procedures for work of housekeeping staff.
- Coordinates work activities among departments.
- Evaluates records to forecast department personnel requirements.
- Makes recommendations to improve service and ensure more efficient operation.
- Prepares reports concerning department expenses.
- Records data regarding work assignments, personnel actions, time clock punch reports, payroll, and periodic reports.
- Contacts repair/trash company to service and/or repair trash and recycling receptacles and equipment.
- Oversees turn cleaning contractors.
- Supervises floor maintenance as needed.
Directly supervises housekeeping staff of 9 employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is mid-to-high paced. The noise level is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock.
- High school diploma or GED.
- 2-3 years of custodian or housekeeping experience.
- Supervision experience.
- Ability to move and lift to 100lbs and navigate up and down stairs.
- Ability to perform computer operations.
- Demonstrate proficiency in verbal communication.
- Possess strong customer service skills.
- Must have troubleshooting and diagnostic skills.
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination, including boosters when eligible, will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Competitive benefits package, including health benefits, dental benefits, vision coverage, and 401K.
Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening.
If you are unable to apply because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact COCM Recruitment from our website. We will make every effort to respond to your request for assistance as soon as possible.
To provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Capstone On-Campus Management (COCM) will be based on qualifications, and abilities. COCM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.