Job Title: Director of Housing
Location: The Summit at Queens College, Flushing, NY
Reports to: Regional Vice President
Salary: $75,000.00-$80,000.00 per year, 2-bedroom apartment and a comprehensive benefits package
FLSA Status: Exempt
The primary responsibility of the Director of Housing is site management at The Summit at Queens College, in Flushing, NY. The is a full-time, live-on, in-person position with housing provided. Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, fiscal oversight; leasing and marketing; programming and student development; facilities management; client relations; enforcement of policies and supervision of employees. The responsibilities of the Director of Housing require a combination of managerial and interpersonal skills aimed at supporting the housing staff and residents while running a fiscally efficient operation. The Director of Housing must work collaboratively with campus partners and COCM staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Duties include day-to-day oversight of all site operations.
- Supervise various levels of full-time and part-time staff members.
- Oversees human resource functions such as benefits, worker’s compensation claims, payroll processing, hiring, training and evaluating direct and indirect reporting staff.
- Represent the site and provide communication about the residential community to campus partners, owners, and COCM corporate staff.
- Distributes weekly status reports about the residential community including a weekly operations report and leasing status report.
Facilities and Maintenance:
- The Director of Housing will ensure execution of daily facilities maintenance, preventative maintenance, and housekeeping.
- Identify vendors and negotiate contracts for services provided.
- Manage annual turn of units between contracts including communication with vendors, housing and contract maintenance staff, and walking units for final preparation prior to student move in.
- Works directly with maintenance staff to ensure completion of work orders in a timely manner.
- Plan and oversee capital projects and renovations.
Marketing and Leasing:
- The Director of Housing will coordinate leasing and marketing initiatives, which includes the development and execution of a marketing plan and leasing timeline, in collaboration with the College.
- Updates and maintains the site website and all digital and print marketing materials.
- Participates in various recruitment events to market the residential community to prospective residents.
- The Director of Housing will provide fiscal oversight by managing the operating and capital budgets which includes developing annual budget proposals, presenting budgets to the institution for approval.
- Ensures all expenditures fall within budget expectations.
- Plans for unexpected expenses.
- Tracks and approving expenditures accounts payable functions.
- Submits monthly budget variance explanations.
- Communicates with COCM accountant staff.
- Oversees accounts payable and accounts receivable functions for the site.
- Will guide the development and execution of residential life curriculum and student programing within the residential community.
- Serve as housing appeals conduct officer and maintain records.
- Will participate in afterhours on call emergency response rotation.
- The Director of Housing position requires a regular workday with additional responsibilities in the evenings and weekends as needed.
- Participates in after hours on call emergency response rotation.
- Other duties as assigned.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is mid-to-high paced. The noise level is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk, climb stairs and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5 years of experience in student housing at a college or university, or equivalent field
- Strong interpersonal, communication (oral and written) skills, and computer competency.
- Supervision of full-time employees
- Experience managing operating budgets and facilities maintenance
- Master’s degree in Student Personnel, Higher Education or Business or a related field of study.
- 3-5 years of experience in Housing/Residence Life at a College or University.
- Experience working with undergraduate student populations.
- Experience in occupancy management, facilities management or asset management including management of operating and capital budgets.
Competitive benefits package, including health benefits, dental benefits, vision coverage, and 401K.
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact COCM Recruitment from our website. We will make every effort to respond to your request for assistance as soon as possible.
To provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Capstone On-Campus Management (COCM) will be based on qualifications, and abilities. COCM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.