East Peoria, IL
Job Title: Director of Housing
Location: Illinois Central College (East Peoria, IL)
Reports to: Area Manager
Salary: $50,000 per year (including onsite unfurnished apartment) and a comprehensive benefits package
FLSA Status: Exempt
The primary responsibility of the Director of Housing is the management of Campus Housing at Illinois Central College in East Peoria, IL. Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, fiscal oversight; leasing and marketing; programming and student development; client relations; enforcement of policies and supervision of employees. The responsibilities of the Director of Housing require a combination of managerial and interpersonal skills aimed at supporting the housing staff and residents while running a fiscally efficient operation. The Director of Housing must work collaboratively with campus partners and COCM staff.
Illinois Central College (ICC) is a community college located in East Peoria, IL. Campus Housing, owned by the ICC Foundation LLC, provides an apartment-style living to students of ICC and local interns. The community consists of 328 beds (120 units) and serves a diverse range of students.
Capstone On-Campus Management (COCM), with headquarters in Birmingham, Alabama, is a group of student housing professionals focused exclusively on the management of housing communities owned by non-profits and/or highly affiliated with a university.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees day-to-day site operations.
- Supervises various levels of staff members (1 assistant director, 1 office coordinator, and 1 maintenance technician) and indirectly supervise student staff members (resident assistants and facilities assistants).
- Oversees human resource functions such as benefits, worker’s compensation claims, payroll processing, hiring, training, and evaluating direct and indirect reporting staff.
- Represents the site and provides communication about the residential community to campus partners, owners, and COCM corporate staff.
- Liaisons with college departments, including student services, student accounting, facilities, information technology and campus police.
- Attends monthly board meetings to provide updates regarding operations.
- Distributes weekly status reports including a weekly operations report and leasing status report.
Facilities and Maintenance:
- Ensures execution of daily facilities maintenance, preventative maintenance plan, grounds, and custodial.
- Identifies vendors and negotiates contracts for services provided.
- Manages annual turn of units between contracts including communication with vendors, housing and contract maintenance staff, and walking units for final preparation prior to student move-in.
- Works directly with maintenance staff and ICC facilities staff to ensure timely completion of work orders.
Marketing and Leasing:
- Coordinates leasing and marketing initiatives, which includes the development and execution of a marketing plan and leasing timeline.
- Updates and maintains the site website.
- Participates in various recruitment events to market the residential community to prospective residents.
- Provides fiscal oversight by managing the operating and capital budgets which include developing annual budget proposals and presenting budgets to the board for approval.
- Ensures all expenditures fall within budget expectations.
- Plans for unexpected expenses.
- Tracks and approving expenditures accounts payable functions.
- Performs monthly reviews of financial statements and submits monthly budget variance explanations.
- Communicates with COCM accountant staff.
- Ensures housing fees are accurately inputted to student’s accounts at ICC.
- Administers housing assignments and ongoing communication with residents.
- Performs delinquency reviews and manages collections/removal follow-ups with residents.
- Guides the development and execution of residential life curriculum and student programming within the residential community.
- Review community policies (Resident Handbook) and update annually.
- Serve as housing appeals conduct officer and maintain records.
- Develops and maintains relationships with local businesses for summer intern housing opportunities.
- Participates in after-hours on-call emergency response rotation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm with additional responsibilities in the evenings and weekends as needed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is mid-to-high paced. The noise level is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk, climb stairs, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Master’s degree in Student Personnel, Higher Education, Business, or a related field of study. Demonstrated experience in college student housing, administration, leasing/marketing, customer service, facilities management, and supervision.
An ideal candidate will possess excellent verbal and written communication skills to interact with campus partners, students, staff, families, and community members. Effective time management, attention to detail, computer competency, capacity to manage competing priorities, and ability to work with a diverse population will be necessary for success.
Competitive benefits package, including health benefits, dental benefits, vision coverage, and 401K.
Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening.
If you are unable to apply because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for assistance as soon as possible.
COCM is an equal opportunity employer. Persons of color, women, and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.