Frostburg, MD, US
Job Title: Director of Affiliated Housing
Location: Frostburg, Maryland
Reports to: Regional Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
The primary responsibility of the Director of Housing is the on-campus housing (site) management at Edgewood Commons located on the campus of Frostburg State University, Frostburg, Maryland. Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, fiscal oversight; leasing and marketing; programming and student development; client relations; enforcement of policies, oversight of facilities operations and supervision of employees. The responsibilities of the Director of Housing require a combination of managerial and interpersonal skills aimed at supporting the housing staff and residents while running a fiscally efficient operation. The Director of Housing must work collaboratively with campus partners and COCM staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Duties include day-to-day oversight of site operations.
- Supervise various levels of staff members.
- Oversees human resource functions such as benefits, worker’s compensation claims, payroll processing, hiring, training and evaluating direct and indirect reporting staff.
- Represent the site and provide communication about the residential community to campus partners, owners, and COCM corporate staff.
- Distributes weekly status reports about the residential community including a weekly operations report and leasing status report.
Facilities and Maintenance
- The Director of Housing will ensure the execution of daily facilities maintenance, preventative maintenance plan, grounds, and housekeeping.
- Identify vendors and negotiate contracts for services provided.
- Manage annual “turn” of units between contracts including communication with vendors, housing and contract maintenance staff, and walking units for final preparation prior to student move-in.
- Works directly with maintenance staff to ensure completion of work orders in a timely manner.
Marketing and Leasing
- The Director of Housing will directly coordinate leasing and marketing initiatives, which includes the development and execution of a marketing plan and leasing timeline.
- Updates and maintains the site website.
- Participates in various recruitment events to market the residential community to prospective residents, locally and within the region.
- The Director of Housing will provide fiscal oversight by managing the operating and capital budgets which include developing annual budget proposals, presenting budgets to the institution for approval.
- Ensures all expenditures fall within budget expectations.
- Plans for unexpected expenses.
- Tracks and approving expenditures accounts payable functions.
- Submits monthly budget variance explanations.
- Communicates with COCM accountant staff.
- Will guide the development and execution of residential life curriculum and student programming within the residential community.
- Serve as housing appeals conduct officer and maintain records.
- Will participate in after-hours on-call emergency response rotation.
- The Director of Housing position requires a regular workday with additional responsibilities in the evenings and weekends as needed.
- Participates in after-hours on-call emergency response rotation.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience – Bachelor’s degree and three years of relevant experience in related fields or area of responsibility.
- Communication – Experience with group facilitation, leadership, social media platforms, and oral and written communication.
- Language Skills – Ability to read, analyze, and interpret trade periodicals, journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondences, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations, and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
- Mathematical Skills – Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret basic graphs. Ability to create a budget is a bonus.
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations.
- Computer Skills – To perform this job successfully, an individual should have proficient knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word as well as basic typing skills and use of the internet.
- Other Skills and Abilities – Ability to learn and apply new technology and software systems quickly; Excellent customer service skills and time management.
- Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening.
- Master’s degree in Student Personnel, Higher Education or Business or a related field of study;
- 3 – 5 years of experience in Housing/Residence Life at a College or University;
- Experience working with undergraduate student populations;
- Must possess strong interpersonal, communication (oral and written) skills, and computer competency;
- Experience in facilities management or asset management including management of operating and capital budgets.
Salary commensurate on experience. Competitive benefits package, including health benefits, dental benefits, vision coverage, and 401K.
Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening.