Job Title: Desk Assistant (Full-time Position)
Location: Spartan Suites at Norfolk State University
Reports to: Assistant Director of Operations
Salary: $13.50-$15.00 per hour and comprehensive benefits package
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Desk Assistant is the front line of contact for the Spartan Suites. They are responsible for positively assisting all residents and guests by providing a comprehensive customer experience. The successful candidate has the ability to critically think and use proper problem-solving skills to ensure satisfactory resolution of all resident issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary point of contact to address residents’ needs and issues.
- Answers incoming telephone calls, determines the purpose of the callers, and forwards calls to appropriate personnel or department.
- Answers questions, provides directions, and other information requested by residents and/or visitors.
- Ability to understand and follow proper policies and procedures in relation to crisis management (involving residents and facilities).
- Performs clerical duties as needed.
- Provide assistance with special events.
- Assist with special projects.
- Responsible for set-up & break down of all program spaces.
- Receives, sorts, and routes mail, both incoming and outgoing (federal and campus mail).
- Checks out equipment to residents.
- Monitors student and visitor access.
- Enforcing University regulations and policies after hours.
- Reports policy violations or security issues to appropriate staff.
- Clean up spills that require immediate attention (to include water, sewage, and/or bodily fluids).
- Assist residents and staff with entry of work request and relay emergent issues to the appropriate management staff.
- Attends all desk staff meetings and training sessions as scheduled.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assist with special projects, follow instructions, and meet deadlines. Keep the desk and immediate area clean and organized.
- Maintain desk signs, daily events signs, and bulletin boards.
- Make recommendations and give feedback to enhance the department. Perform clerical duties as needed.
40 Hours a week position 8:30am to 4:30pm (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee counters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Experience working at an office or service desks is preferred.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers and employees.
- Ability to use written communication to effectively communicate with a diverse group of individuals, from students to the President of the university.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and email.
- Ability to operate basic office equipment including photocopier, computer, telephone, and fax machine.
The successful candidate will possess the skills to provide a quality customer experience (to include exhibiting a high level of customer service; greeting customers, visitors and community members in a friendly and inviting manner). The successful candidate must possess a positive and helpful personality, excellent listening skills, a clear and understandable speaking voice, presentation skills, the ability and willingness to learn and retain information, remain organized and multitask, and pay attention to detail. The successful candidate will also have the desire to help people and the ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with staff, students, and upper management (both internally and externally). Commitment, dedication, reliability, punctuality, integrity, and competency with computers and the internet are essential.
Competitive benefits package Includes health benefits, dental benefits, vision coverage, and 401K.
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact COCM Recruitment from our website. We will make every effort to respond to your request for assistance as soon as possible.
To provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Capstone On-Campus Management (COCM) will be based on qualifications and abilities. COCM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.