Job Title: Custodian (Evening Shift)
Location: The Heights at Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ
Reports to: Assistant Director of Facilities & Administration
Salary: $18.00 per hour and a comprehensive benefits package
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This position works Wednesday-Sunday, 3:00pm-11:30pm. Primary responsibility of the Custodian is to collaborate with the overall Facilities Staff to upkeep and maintain The Heights at Montclair State University, an on-campus community comprised of two complexes and approximately 2,000 resident students. The Custodian cleans and keeps in orderly fashion areas including washrooms, offices, furniture, immediate exterior areas, and all interior common areas/public spaces. Specific duties include sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, dusting, wiping down surfaces, cleaning restrooms, trash removal, and window cleaning. The Custodian shovels snow, and spreads salt and sand on icy roads and walkways. The Custodian also unloads trucks, moves equipment, supplies, office furniture, and residential furniture, and performs tasks that involve lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying up to 50 lbs. Projecting a customer focused and professional image through interaction with all internal and external customers is essential.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Clean all entrance/exit doors, halls, stairways, public restrooms, offices, lounges, elevators, laundry rooms, trash rooms, corridors, and all common areas.
- Wipe down elevator cab interior and clean elevator tracks.
- Vacuum all carpeted spaces and mop or sweep all non-carpeted floors including offices.
- Wipe down all hand rails.
- Mop or sweep stairs and stairwells.
- Dust sconces, light fixtures, decorative fixtures, and window ledges as scheduled.
- Clean and sanitize all restrooms daily including sinks, toilets, urinals, floors, door handles, mirrors, and counters. Remove trash daily.
- Clean and/or dust furniture as directed.
- Stock restrooms with soap and paper products.
- Report damages or necessary repair needs to Assistant Director immediately.
- Remove all trash and refuse from the building including offices, and tote trash cans outside for trash pick-up.
- Assist in mopping and scrubbing trash and storage rooms.
- Assist in emptying office space trash and garbage containers.
- Remove recycling from trash rooms throughout building.
- Wash interior and exterior windows as scheduled.
- Monitors snow accumulation to ensure steps are taken to prevent ice buildup on the property.
- Shovels snow from walks and driveways.
- Spreads salt on public passageways to prevent ice or snow buildup.
- Monitor and maintain entranceways, walkways, common areas, and hallways to ensure they are dry, clear, and safe for pedestrians.
- Unload and stock equipment and supplies from loading dock, storage, and Maintenance Shop throughout buildings.
- Assemble and move office and residential furniture as needed.
- Prepare and set-up furniture and equipment for meetings, conference, classes, etc. as required.
- Perform carpet and upholstery cleaning.
- Assist with restoring the rooms and common areas to their original condition upon resident or guest move-out through cleaning and repairs.
- Other duties as assigned.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is mid-to-high paced. The noise level is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
- Must be able to work Wednesday-Sunday, 3:00pm-11:30pm.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Custodial experience with willingness to learn.
- Ability to lift 50lbs and navigate up and down stairs.
- Demonstrate proficiency in verbal communication.
- Possess strong customer service skills.
- Must have troubleshooting and diagnostic skills.
Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package, including health benefits, dental benefits, vision coverage, and 401K.
Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening.
If you are unable to apply because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for assistance as soon as possible.
To provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Capstone On-Campus Management (COCM) will be based on qualifications, and abilities. COCM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.