Bowling Green, OH
Job Title: Custodian
Location: Bowling Green State University: Centennial Hall, Falcon Heights, and Falcon Landing
Reports to: Assistant Director of Operations
Salary: $11.25 – $11.80 per hour and a comprehensive benefits package
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
COCM has a Custodian position opening at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, OH. COCM manages three buildings on campus which include Centennial Hall, Falcon Heights, and Falcon Landing. For more information, please visit https://www.bgsu.edu/residence-life.html
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works to support the Facilities Team in their duties and responsibilities: creating a student first environment excelling in customer service, communication, and quality of service.
- Clean common areas including, but are not limited to halls, stairways, public restrooms, lounges, elevators, laundry room, trash rooms, corridors, kitchens, etc.
- Clean and sanitize public restrooms, including replenishing bathroom supplies.
- Sweep, scrub, and mop floors as well as vacuuming mats and carpeting.
- Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish on hard surface floors, as well as extract carpeting and upholstered furniture.
- Clean and dust furniture.
- Dispose of trash and recyclables inside and outside of the buildings.
- Assist with seasonal snow removal.
- Wash accessible interior and the exterior windows, door panels, and sills.
- Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings and events.
- Use and maintain assigned equipment: floor scrubber, extractors, pressure washer, vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees.
- Follow instructions and safety procedures regarding the use of chemicals and supplies.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies, and tools.
- Launder cleaning rags and dust mops.
- Must have the ability to travel between buildings to complete tasks as needed. Traveling between buildings could occur multiple times per day.
- Respond to emergencies when necessary while on the on-call rotation (within 30-minute response time).
- Complete all items on daily cleaning checklist.
- Responsible for cleaning apartments and units prior to move-in, during a facilities emergency, and on an as needed occurrence.
- Other duties as assigned.
Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, serving on an on-call rotation.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is mid-to-high paced. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required.
- At least one year of experience in working within a janitorial and or custodial position which required general cleaning skills.
- Two to four years of relevant experience and expertise in janitorial, custodial and/or cleaning services as well as in general accepted janitorial/custodial practices.
- Previous experience working within a custodial program in student housing campus facilities or hospitality management industry.
- Must have troubleshooting and communication skills.
- Must be a team player, we all must work together as we strive to provide the best service possible for our customers.
- Must have personal initiative, when seeing a need for cleaning within the community.
Hourly salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package, including health benefits, dental benefits, vision coverage, and 401K.
Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening.
If you are unable to apply because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for assistance as soon as possible.
COCM is an equal opportunity employer. Persons of color, women, and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.